Skip to content

Sanford & Tatum Blog

All You Ever Wanted to Know About Insurance

News Brief: NOAA Predicts “Above Normal” 2024 Hurricane Season

NOAA Predicts “Above Normal” 2024 Hurricane Season

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicts “above-normal” activity in the Atlantic basin this hurricane season, typically lasting June through November.

According to NOAA’s 2024 outlook, there is “an 85% chance of an above-normal season, a 10% chance of a near-normal season and a 5% chance of a below-normal season.”

In more concrete terms, the agency is forecasting:

  • -Around 17 to 25 named storms (winds of at least 39 mph) may occur.
  • -Of the named storms, 8 to 13 are forecast to develop into hurricanes.
  • -Of the hurricanes, 4 to 7 are forecast to be major (category 3, 4 or 5; winds of 111 mph or higher).

NOAA forecasters have “70% confidence in these ranges,” indicating that an above normal hurricane season may be likely.

Preparing for Hurricane Season

Hurricane preparation is critical for those in potentially susceptible regions. If you live or operate in an area with hurricanes, understand what to do before, during and after the storm.

For businesses, this may involve establishing an emergency preparedness plan and educating workers about possible contingencies. Applicable workers should know how to prepare a building for a hurricane, such as by turning off utilities. Other steps may involve shoring up the business premises with storm protections or securing outdoor equipment.

For individuals and families, hurricane preparation may involve stocking up on nonperishable food items, assembling an emergency kit (e.g., first-aid supplies, a flashlight with batteries, medications, bottled water and a blanket) and bringing in outdoor possessions.

Anyone in a hurricane zone should know where to find local updates. Monitor local news channels, radio stations and online postings to find the latest guidance.

Critically, know your hurricane evacuation routes. If an evacuation order is issued, comply with it.

Insurance Considerations

Hurricanes present unique risks, such as severe flooding and wind damage, that aren’t usually covered by standard property insurance.

Homeowners and businesses should inquire about available flood and windstorm insurance, which may help recoup hurricane-related losses that can otherwise be excluded from policies. Such coverage must often be purchased 30 days ahead of it taking effect, so don’t delay until the next big storm looms.

Contact Sanford & Tatum, An Alera Group Company for additional hurricane preparation guidance. 

The content of this News Brief is of general interest and is not intended to apply to specific circumstances. It should not be regarded as legal advice and not be relied upon as such. In relation to any particular problem which they may have, readers are advised to seek specific advice. © 2024 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.  


There are no comments yet.

Leave a Comment

Required fields are marked with


Your name, comment, and URL will appear on this page after it has been reviewed and approved. Your email address will not be published.